Design: Anjali Shah
Project Type: Student Project
School: MIT Institute of Design
Tutor: Prof. Ranjana Dani
Packaging Contents: Baked Millet Crisps – Snacks
Packaging Substrate / Materials: Seedpaper
Printing Process: Serigraphy
Nosh is a unique and exciting brand for the elderly that provides a break from the norm with added nutrition and the goodness of fresh ingredients in the form of baked crisps. (The word Nosh means to eat food enthusiastically or greedily or simply food.)
Baked Millet Chips – Sold in 250 gms seed paper packaging pouches. Fun bite-sized snacks packed with added nutrients, tasty and healthy snacks for the elderly audiences.
1. The habit of Snacking – Snacking motivation for Indian adults arrives from the need for ‘me-time’, to relax/calm down/relieve anxiety, and for boosting mood.
2. Physical health – With age, the human body begins to degenerate, and the need for nutrition and health increases.
3. Emotional health – Elderly people lose their appetite and in some cases, the restrictions on food increase their levels of frustration; and they may act out by cheating and eating unhealthy food secretly.
4. Cultural food habits – Food and food habits are a big part of the culture and serve as a symbol of emotional association, a channel of love, discrimination, and disapproval.
The colours associated with the word ‘old/elderly’ are dull, pale, and/or unexciting. This may not always be true for the older audiences’ tastes. While there could be certain restrictions in food based on ailments, the biggest insight received from a nutritionist in the field was that ‘the elders gravitate towards brighter colours, fresh looking food or fruits, it adds some level of excitement to their lives, they are happier with colours, they feel younger, energetic, included and even if it’s just a morsel of food, it’s uplifting. This is a powerful insight and provided scope to play around with the packaging.
FLAVOUR 1 – AACH (SPINACH & GREEN APPLE)
Spinach has high doses of Vitamin K, which helps the blood to clot and can reduce bone fragility. Green apple reduces cholesterol, helps control weight, and reduces the risk of heart-disease.
FLAVOUR 2 – BATO (CHERRY TOMATO & BASIL)
Cherry tomatoes are sweet and succulent and rich in flavour, also they are rich in lycopene, which is great at fighting free radicals that cause disease, they are an anti-aging superfood. Basil is a fresh herb that contains magnesium, lowers cholesterol and blood pressure.
FLAVOUR 3 – CARO (RAW MANGO & CARROT)
Raw mango is a burst of flavour and contains high levels of vitamin C, calcium, magnesium. They are also high in niacin, which helps boost cardiovascular health. Carrots are crunch, tasty, and a good source of beta carotene, fiber, vitamin K1, potassium, and antioxidants.
USP (Unique Selling Proposition)
1. Safe, tasty, and nutrient-rich snacks exclusively for elderly audiences.
2. Packaging made out of seed paper – the user can enjoy the crisps and experience the joy of planting their own fresh herbs after enjoying the snack (seeds based on ingredients). Gardening is a calming and rejuvenating activity.
PPD (Perceptible point of difference)
Experimentation in ingredients, colour, and adding excitement to food.