Project Type: Produced
Client: Menino do Coro
Product Launch Location: Europe
Packaging Contents: Wine
Packaging Substrate / Materials: Paper
Printing Process: Offset
I work mainly in the universe of label and packaging design for several years, having to date designed hundreds of labels and brands. In the work process, a fundamental part of the process is the printing of labels whose process is in no way environmentally friendly.
The printing of labels nowadays is done on self-adhesive paper, in reel.
The process of color matching, different adjustments in the production process until the final result implies, in most cases, the waste of hundreds of meters of virgin paper in order to achieve “that color”, the exact tone, the perfect finish.
For a few years now, this constant waste has made me think of the whole process and possible ways to reuse the resulting waste… imagine paper rolls, good paper, 60, 70 or even 1meter in diameter that go directly to incinerate (cannot be recycled as it contains glue and plastic)… tons per week, km of paper.
Looking at the production process, storage and packaging of wine in cardboard boxes, the closing of the boxes with adhesive tape captured our attention and awakened the possible reuse of the paper spools… with a simple cut in the dimension of the reel, we make adhesive tape, personalized for each wine / brand, thus allowing the reuse of waste resulting from the printing of labels with multiple advantages:
- we reduced the amount of waste resulting from the process
- the company that prints reduces the cost of sending waste to incineration
- the wine brand reduces the use / purchase of tape
- we reduced the production of adhesive tape
- a waste whose only solution was to be incinerated can now have a circular use
- the plastic where the label / paper was attached can be recycled as it is separated from the paper with glue