Design: Van Heertum Design VHD
Project Type: Produced, Commercial Work
Client: Lucas Bols
Location: Tilburg, the Netherlands
Packaging Contents: Spirits, Genever
Packaging Substrate / Materials: Glass & Stone bottles
Printing Process: offset printing, foil stamping, embossing
Van Heertum Design recently renewed the design of the iconic Bols Genever range, which consists out of the young genever, very old genever, corenwyn 2 and corenwyn 6. One bottle and three jugs that are even more radiating to be part of one Bols family. With references to the heritage and Amsterdam. The city that has been the origin of the brand that, now more than ever, stands for craftsmanship, taste, top quality and Amsterdam guts.
- In order to remain faithful to the impressive Bols History (since 1575), the authentic genever bottle and jars have been used. For the jugs, however, a specific production method has been chosen in which rough traces are visible in the jars (also visible through the labels). This gives an authentic robust look and extra grip.
- Introducing an identical design layout for the complete range, to create 1 strong family visually.
- Introduction of a new classical central positioned Bols logo, with a strong link to the origin; Amsterdam 1575.
- There are flavor notes and historical info on the main label (top label).
- The lower label shows the type, high quality, origin and craftsmanship.
- The two luxury corenwyn variants are distinguished by extra foil and embossing use on the labels and the well-known corenwyn opening ribbon.
- In addition, there are also small differences in nuance between each individual variant to indicate a clear order of quality and depth. Think about; glass or jug, silver foil or gold foil, open or closed coins, blue or black logo, blue or gold crest, etc.
BOLS is a Real-Amsterdam brand and the oldest distilled brand in the world. On the Rozengracht, on the edge of the Jordaan (but in the middle of life), the Bols family started distillery ‘t Lootsje here at the end of the 16th century. Amsterdam’s guts and entrepreneurial spirit go hand in hand through the history of the family brand. Amsterdam owes its success to a familial, tolerant way of doing business. Similarly for Lucas Bols. He managed to lay his hands on an abundance of spices from all corners of the world. When he lost his life in 1719, he left more than 300 recipes for liqueurs and spirits (spirits).
- Use of stone bottles
- Historical links in the design
- Staying true to the brands history but making it stand out in todays market
- Creating one clear family
- Detail in production, paper, hot foils, embossing