CBA were tasked to re-design Purina’s popular ‘Beyond’ pet food range to help bolster its presence as one of the market leaders in the natural pet food category. CBA designed the original identity for the Beyond range in 2014. Working closely with Purina, the brand quickly became a market leader of natural pet food in grocery and mass retail stores.
CBA’s latest challenge was to update the packaging to secure Beyond’s place at the top of the category, reflecting the growing competition within natural pet food and the brand’s expanding portfolio.
The design moves away from the more traditional approach seen on the previous packaging towards a ‘new natural’ approach to pet food, debunking competitors with fresh approaches to colour, branding and illustration. Initially being rolled out across North America, the design also increases the visibility and findability at shelf level and increases the status of the Beyond brand across price tiers.
Will Burke, chief innovation officer at CBA, commented: “Our approach to the re-design was to build on the elements that were already working well in conveying the quality of the natural ingredients, while creating a more stand-out and easy to navigate portfolio at shelf. We did this with a wider appreciation of how the category is evolving and how competitors are tackling the market in order to help Purina secure Beyond’s position as a leader in the field.”
Nida Bockert, Brand Director of Purina Beyond, said: “We’ve been working with CBA for 5 years and over this time their understanding of Purina Beyond and how it needs to evolve is imperative. Our consumers’ desire for more natural food for their pets continues to grow and we’re confident that with help from CBA on our brand presence, our fantastic product line will continue to be one of the natural pet food market leaders.”
- Key features of the new design include:
- More dynamic illustrations on pack that use expressive brush strokes, each illustration being carefully created as a unique icon for the individual recipe.
- Vibrant colours with high-contrast that catch the shoppers eye level.
- Photography of ingredients shot from above and in natural daylight, reinforcing the pureness and naturalness of the product.
- Revised brand hallmarks that include hand-written annotations to connect consumers to the ‘hand-crafted’ sensibility of the product.
- An overall design architecture that improves navigability across the portfolio on the shelf.